[alsa-devel] ALSA Core: Sound Card registration (CPU --> CODEC_1 --> CODEC_2)

phaniu at codeaurora.org phaniu at codeaurora.org
Wed Sep 3 23:56:23 CEST 2014

Hi,

We have a question regarding how sound card can be registered for the
following scenario:

CPU connecting to Audio CODEC_1 and then CODEC_1 connecting to another
Audio CODEC_2 (over some bus like i2c). CODEC_1 can be represented as a
codec_dai and can be registered to ASoC framework (with
snd_soc_register_codec()) during system boot up. However, for end-to-end
audio to work on this system, we also need CODEC_2 somehow registered to
ASoC framework so that audio path on CODEC_2 can configured.

Could you please let us know if CODEC_2 can also registered as another dai
and if yes, how it can be achieved ? Or is there any other way to
probe_defer sound card registration till CODEC_2 is enumerated on the bus.
In this case, to what component of the sound card dailink structure, the
Audio CODEC_2 can be represented ?

Please share your thoughts on this.

Best Regards,
Phani

The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation