[alsa-devel] Request for comments for SND_SOC_IMX_WM8731

Nicolin Chen nicoleotsuka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 08:40:17 CET 2014

Hi Jonathan,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:20:29AM -0200, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Jonathan Bennett <jbscience87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This patch is a continuation of my work on supporting the Utilite devices on
> > the vanilla kernel. I've modified the code slightly to conform to
> > established practice. Namely instead of using src-port and ext-port, we use
> > mux-int-port and mux-ext-port.
> >
> > This driver has support for putting the codec in either master mode or slave
> > mode. So far I've only had success with using slave mode. For trying to
> > submit for kernel inclusion, should I strip out the code for codec master

Just took a look at your driver. And I have a suggestion on the top
of Fabio's comments.

I think you should try fsl-asoc-card driver instead of adding this
one. Your driver doesn't seemly have some specific requirement and
it actually contains a few out-of-date code like SSI clock divider
settings. SSI driver now has the capability to calculate divisors
automatically based on the required sample rate, even if it may not
be perfect to apply all the sample rates. But I don't think the
machine driver shall take care this job any more.

So I suggest you first to try the fsl-asoc-card with a specific
change for wm8731 to make it work -- I think you only need to
configure some parameters in its probe() as I did for the other
CODECs. If it doesn't work out, you can raise the problem. I'll
also help on it.

Thanks,
Nicolin