[alsa-devel] Recording with asus xonar essence st card

Vasily Postnicov shamaz.mazum at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:16:43 CEST 2014

Hello. This is not related to alsa, but I decided to write this message
here, because as far as I know alsa has the best open source driver for
asus xonar series. I am using DragonFlyBSD and a bit modified driver
originally written for FreeBSD by Alexander Polakov
https://github.com/shamazmazum/xonar-dragonfly

It lacks support for recording. I am trying to add this functionality from
alsa/OSS drivers, but I have some unanswered questions. There are they here:

1) How do I  initialize my soundcard for recording properly? I think I must
enable CS5381 ADC using GPIO registers,  but what are OXYGEN_REC_ROUTING,
OXYGEN_ADC_MONITOR and OXYGEN_A_MONITOR_ROUTING for? Does MONITOR mean the
same thing as in the user manual? If ROUTING registers are just switches
for source of a signal to be recorded, is it enough to use
OXYGEN_REC_B_ROUTE_I2S_ADC_2 for ST card to record from line-in/mic jack?

2) How do I control volume of sound while recording? Have Xonar Essence
cards any controls for this? I cannot find it out looking at oxygen_mixer.c