[alsa-devel] Direct Stream Digital (DSD/DST, One Bit Audio) HDMI pass-trough

Andrej Falout andrej at falout.org
Tue Oct 14 02:49:31 CEST 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Pierre-Louis Bossart <
pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/14, 1:33 AM, Andrej Falout wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> <...snip...>
>>     5. Note that as far as I know, no proprietary drivers on Windows
>>     (ATI/AMD, Nvidia, Intel) support this; It will be the first time a
>> device
>>     that is not a SACD player outputs DSD over HDMI, on any OS. I am
>> assuming
>>     that this has nothing to do with hardware limitations of the HDMI
>> chips
>>     used for video outputs (I could not find any reference for such
>> assumption
>>     in any HDMI chips I examined specs for). Therefore, I assume that
>>     implementing this has no hardware prerequisites.
>>

> HDMI controllers typically don't support DSD in the PC space. It'd be
> easier to convert to high-res PCM (HBR).

Hello Pierre-Louis,

Thank you for your comment.

What are you basing your assessment that "HDMI controllers typically don't
support DSD in the PC space"? I looked, but could not find any evidence for
this.

Certainly, DSD is not a part of HDMI hardware implementation (such as for
example, CEC). From all info I have, DSD is simply multiplexed into HDMI
data stream, just as DST-HD or AC3 is.

The goal here is to have a native DSD transport, so conversion to PCM is
not an option.

Thanks,
Andrej Falout