[alsa-devel] seq module loading issue

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Oct 9 11:14:57 CEST 2014

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> If it were a simple cleanup, I'm fine with it.  But this leads to
>>> a major behavior change, which has a high risk of incompatibility.
>>
>> But there would be no changed behaviour as far as the API is concerned
>> (except for this particular issue, which is a bug).
>
> Currently, the sequencer stuff can be suppressed by simply not loading
> snd-seq core module itself.  Do you mean to drop this feature?

Yes.

> Some distros don't load sequencer modules nowadays as default.

Do you know why?  Any reason except memory?

> So it would result in a clear behavior change on the whole system.

And alsa-lib tries its best to do autoloading to hide the fact that
snd-seq might not have been loaded.  Therefore, it has never been
possible to assume, at any time, that snd-seq is _not_ loaded.

Is the high risk of incompatibility that you mentioned this assumption,
or anything else?

Regards,
Clemens