[alsa-devel] Exposing the ThinkPad HW mute switch to ALSA?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Oct 8 08:17:54 CEST 2014

On 2014-10-08 02:43, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Admittedly, I see some value in having the mute button mute things
> regardless of what userspace is doing, but I don't see *much* value in
> it.  And, arguably, if that behavior is actually desirable, it should
> be available on all laptops, not just ThinkPads.

Things start to get tricky when you think one step ahead and ask
yourself what outputs the button and the LED really should control. We
touched the topic briefly when discussing LEDs on the audio meeting last
year. I'm attaching my presentation for reference.

(The outcome of the discussion about the mic mute LED was "we don't
know, go ask designers", and well, you probably know the result, as we
ended up with "The internal card's mics" for the mic mute LED.)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic