[alsa-devel] Headset jack and intel based Macmini6,2

Marco marco at cowpride.com
Sat Nov 22 12:29:49 CET 2014

/cc David Henningsson that has done something like that for some Dell HW
and might have some suggestions

Hello,
even if poorly advertised, recent mac.* have an headset jack (amplified)
along with the non amplified line jack. For example, for MacMini, from:
apple.com/mac-mini/specs/
> Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

Where iPhone headset means a simple headset not preamplified, really.

I own a MacMini6,2 (the october 2012 one) and with Mac OSX it works...
under linux... well... it is a simple out jack.
This jeopardize the ability to use any video conference software (who
doesn't today?) on linux if you don't own a USB audio device (or you don't
want that extra piece of relatively large hw)

The card is a HDA based Cirrus Logic CS4206/4207 and the two specific
models do not work (imac27 and mbp55) while auto works (except the headset
of course :)

I tried to change the pinconfig but on the intel HDA documentation it is
not really clear how the code for an headset jack (in/out) would look like.

I saw that for card ALC269/270/275/276/28x/29x there are models that
support the headset codes but... well.. they don't really seem "standard"
intel codes

I tried to look if it was possible to extract these codes from OSX but I
haven't found anything interesting (but I might have missed something)

Any suggestion dear esteemed Alsa developers? :)

Any help appreciated,

Thanks!

Marco