[alsa-devel] Pop and offsets at start of audio playback/record for SGTL5000 on i.MX28

Craig McQueen craig.mcqueen at beamcommunications.com
Fri Nov 14 02:43:17 CET 2014

I'm testing the 3.14.19 kernel for i.MX28 EVK, which has an SGTL5000
CODEC. I've also tested on the 3.18-rc4 kernel and confirmed this issue
still occurs.

Playback

When doing audio playback, I notice that the audio "fades in" over the
first (approximately) 500 ms of playback. This is very noticeable and
not ideal in certain applications (e.g. audio notifications that are of
short duration).

However, if audio playback starts while audio recording is already
in-progress, then there is no fade-in; instead there is a loud pop. I
assume the fade-in is there to mask the pop. The pop is very unpleasant
through headphones. (However, if I do audio playback a _second_ time
while audio recording is still in-progress, then there is no loud pop
the second time.)

I didn't think either the pop or the fade-in occurred on the 2.6.35
kernel. How feasible is it to improve the driver to avoid or reduce the
pop, and remove the necessity for a fade-in?

Record

When recording, I notice there is a low-frequency ramping offset at the
start of a recording (after the 400-500 ms of previous audio) of approx
600-700 ms duration. This also reduces the audio quality at the start of
the recording. It could reduce the quality of captured audio depending
on the application usage. I am getting distortion (clipping I assume) of
my audio input during this time. It could cause a pop on playback (local
playback or e.g. VoIP transmission to a remote device). It could reduce
the audio quality through an audio CODEC.

How feasible is it to improve the driver to avoid a ramping offset at
the start of recording?

--
Craig McQueen