[alsa-devel] [RFC] AXD Audio Processing IP ALSA support - Questions

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 4 17:14:32 CET 2014

On 11/4/14, 6:04 AM, Qais Yousef wrote:
> On 11/04/2014 10:40 AM, Vinod Koul wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 09:48:18AM +0000, Qais Yousef wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have several questions on the best way to add AXD support in ALSA.
>> 1st rule pls CC maintainers, so that it gets rights attention.
>>

> OK sorry about that.
>
>>> The discussion of the previous patch can be found here:
>>>
>>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/28/465
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> 1- What is the best example to follow to add a simple mp3 support
>>> for AXD? The only one I find is in sst-mfld-platform-compress.c in
>>> sound/soc/intel directory but it's a bit confusing. I think because
>>> it's sharing code with several other sst drivers/platforms.
>> There are two ways
>> 1. If you are a ASoC driver which is most likely the case, then add a
>> compress dai and then a compress dai-link. The device with compress
>> device
>> will be created.
>> 2. Directly call compress_register the way asoc does
>>
>> For both you need to implement the compressed ops
>
> Thanks for the pointers :)
>
>>> I find the documentation for compress_offload generally lacking. Is
>>> there a plan to improve on that? Being a new comer to ALSA framework
>>> api, I'm confused what is the correct way to do things :-/
>> Are you talking about kernel API or driver API? Can you please elaborate
>
> Driver API. A new section in 'Writing an ALSA Driver' for compress
> offload would be helpful for example.
>
> snd_compress_register() for example is not clear in what context it
> needs to be called. I failed to find any reference to a user. In your
> pointers above I was trying to do 1 and 2 simultaneously - I didn't
> realise that 1 makes 2 unnecessary.
>
> It might be that I just need to spend more time on it to get it.
>
>>> So far I know I need to call snd_soc_register_card(). I thought
>>> snd_compress_register() (from compress_driver.h) is how you add
>>> compressed nodes to the card but apparently not. It looks like I
>>> need to define a compress_dai? Hmmm.
>> You need to define a compress_dai if you are a asoc device just like
>> the pcm
>> dai's, it is similar to what you would need to do for PCM
>>
>>> 2- Is tinycompress the only userland support for compress_offload?
>>> Is there anyone working on gstreamer and omx plugins to support
>>> that?
>> Yes, I don't know of anyone working on omx support.
>>> Would tinycompress be part of alsa-utils and alsa-libs in the
>>> future? I know it needs more work at the moment but it'd be nice if
>>> compress_offload support is part of the standard alsa-utils and
>>> alsa-libs.
>> It is alsa-lib, for packaging we can make it part of alsa packages. Most
>> users are right now in Android so no one asked yet
>
> I'm using buildroot for my testing. So if it's included part of alsa
> packages that would be helpful.

tinycompress (just like tinyalsa) have a different license and different
maintainers.

> Also it'll help with getting gstreamer support.

in a gstreamer/pulseaudio setting, the plan was to pass all the data
through pulseaudio using IEC packets (to allow for byte-ms conversions)
and have a sink that would perform the needed conversion using
tinycompress (totally hardware specific). Direct access from gstreamer
to tinycompress gets in the way of audio routing/volume control handled
in pulseaudio. I think this was presented at Plumbers 3-4 years ago.
But as Vinod said, we've only heard of Android usages so far.

>>> 3- Can we get an example of how transcoding (back to disk) is
>>> supposed to be working?
>> As I have replied to you last week, it would be done using two FEs and
>> these
>> FEs should be "routed"
>
> OK. I need to read more to completely understand this to be honest. I
> don't know what's an FE and I don't know how they can be 'routed'.
> That's why I was hoping to get an example or a pointer to anything that
> does a similar thing.
> Just to clarify, all the necessary bits are there and I just need to use
> them?

Front-ends are typically 'logical' streams visible to the host.
Back-ends are typically physical links.
FEs and BEs are usually linked through a mixing/routing structure where
ALS controls define what gets played where and where you record from.
As Vinod mentioned, you can define a mixing/routing structure where the
decoded data is fed back to an encoder for record applications. Note
that if your goal is to transcode faster than real-time you will need a
dedicated routing structure that isn't linked to any BE timing -
otherwise the transcoding will be throttled by link timings.

>>> 4- How can we reconfigure complex audio effect components (like
>>> shelving filters) which need filter co-effecient changes to be
>>> applied all at once atomically to avoid instability?
>> Add an ALSA control which models sync, then in driver apply once you
>> get sync control
>>

> OK. It's good to know the support for this type of operations is already
> available.

Such effects typically rely on a 'commit' operation to apply all
parameters at once (avalaible in OpenSL ES). You'd need to link your
user-space commit operation with low-level procedure that lets your DSP
apply everything in one shot. The infrastructure exists but how you
implement the commit part is not generic at all. It could be a dedicated
alsa control or a bitfield in a 512-byte binary control - your choice
really.