[alsa-devel] no sound with intel audio

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri May 30 18:21:03 CEST 2014

At Fri, 30 May 2014 18:05:06 +0200,
Petr Maivald wrote:

> > As a primary test, for example, try the following on a terminal:
> >
> >   % amixer -c1 set "Auto-Mute Mode" "Enabled"
> >   % aplay -Dplughw:1 -vv some-your-file.wav
> >
> > where some-your-file.wav is any WAV file you'd like to hear.
> >
> > If you're using PulseAudio, try like below instead:
> >
> >   % pasuspender -- aplay -D plughw:1 -vv some-your-file.wav
> >
> > Does it play anything?  Try both the headphone plugged and unplugged.
>
> My apologies, I did seriously try to figure out how to figure this out
> and didn't come across anything that made any sense. So, I thought it
> was a kernel bug...
>
> Your suggestion to try aplay did indeed produce sound. It is the first
> sound I was able to get out of this configuration ever. I attached the
> output of alsa-info.sh with aplay playing, and with mplayer playing
> and not working, and the diff. Thanks for your help, at least now I
> have some clue about where to look.

Well, I still don't know what you did try.  This should have been
clarified in the first ground.  Are you using PulseAudio?  If so, take
a look at the mixer, pavucontrol, etc, and which output is being
selected.  On your machine, the first device is HDMI, not the onboard
audio.

If you're using the direct ALSA API without PA, it's likely HDMI being
picked up as the primary output.  You can change the device init order
via index module option or specify the default card number in
~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf in that case.