[alsa-devel] Recovering from DAI xrun condition

Josef Ahmad josef.ahmad at linux.intel.com
Mon May 26 14:44:09 CEST 2014

Hi,

I see the ALSA framework is capable of detecting and recovering from ring
buffer xrun conditions.  What I'm not sure about is whether it is possible
to recover from a DAI xrun error as well.

Let's take the example of an I2S interface operating in tx mode.  If the
tx fifo overruns, one or more words will be discarded by the interface.
If an odd number of words gets discarded, this may result in the left and
right word being swapped.  This is actually a quite common weakness in I2S
controllers.

Is there a mechanism to notify the ALSA subsystem that a DAI xrun
condition has occurred?

Regards

Josef