[alsa-devel] aplay: main:722: audio open error: No such file or directory

Christopher Head alsa at chead.ca
Sun May 25 18:11:24 CEST 2014

Hello!
Apologies if this is not the right place to report this. I tried to use
the bug tracker at <https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug>, but
both times I went to it (a couple of weeks ago and again today) it was
offline. Also, I am not subscribed to the list, so please include me in
replies (or tell me if this is not acceptable and I will subscribe).

I can't play audio on non-default devices.

Running aplay with no options, or with -D default, works fine. Running
aplay with -D hdmi does not work, failing with this message:

aplay: main:722: audio open error: No such file or directory

Running it in strace, I see that the last interesting thing it does
before printing that message is it tries to open /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p,
which does not exist; it should probably be addressing pcmC1D3p instead.

I have no ALSA configuration files anywhere.

kruskal asound # aplay -L
null
default:CARD=MID
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=MID
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
front:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
surround41:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
surround50:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
surround51:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
surround71:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Analog
iec958:CARD=MID,DEV=0
    HDA Intel MID, ALC663 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

kruskal asound # ls -1 /dev/snd
by-path
controlC0
controlC1
hwC0D0
hwC1D0
hwC1D1
hwC1D2
hwC1D3
pcmC0D0c
pcmC0D0p
pcmC0D1p
pcmC0D2c
pcmC1D3p
pcmC1D7p
pcmC1D8p
pcmC1D9p
seq
timer

kruskal asound # cat cards
 0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                      HDA Intel MID at 0xf4900000 irq 53
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf3080000 irq 17

kruskal asound # cat devices
  1:        : sequencer
  2: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
  3: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
  4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
  6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
  7: [ 0]   : control
  8: [ 1- 9]: digital audio playback
  9: [ 1- 8]: digital audio playback
 10: [ 1- 7]: digital audio playback
 11: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
 12: [ 1- 3]: hardware dependent
 13: [ 1- 2]: hardware dependent
 14: [ 1- 1]: hardware dependent
 15: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
 16: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer

kruskal asound # cat pcm
00-00: ALC663 Analog : ALC663 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: ALC663 Digital : ALC663 Digital : playback 1
00-02: ALC663 Alt Analog : ALC663 Alt Analog : capture 1
01-03: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
01-07: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
01-08: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
01-09: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1