[alsa-devel] [Intel-gfx] [RFC] set up an sync channel between audio and display driver (i.e. ALSA and DRM)

Lin, Mengdong mengdong.lin at intel.com
Thu May 22 16:29:49 CEST 2014

So for Haswell, how about create a device for the 'power well' and make this power
device be a child of the display device?

And by any means (e.g. further extract the device as a power object and expose to audio driver),
the audio driver can finally trigger pm_runtime_get/put_sync() on this power device to solve the
power dependency on audio side, and the parent->child relationship will assure the order on drm side.
I feel it's a natural way for HD-Audio driver, which already binds to the HD-A controller.

And for MCG HDMI audio driver which directly feeds data from system memory to the display device,
I think it can either use pm_runtime_get/put_sync() on this power device (seems no necessary),
or just make the audio device as child of the display device.

Thanks
Mengdong