[alsa-devel] [Intel-gfx] [RFC] set up an sync channel between audio and display driver (i.e. ALSA and DRM)

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at intel.com
Tue May 20 17:07:51 CEST 2014

On 20/05/2014 16:57, Thierry Reding wrote:

>> >Yeah, this is a big reason why I want real devices - we have piles of
>> >infrastructure to solve these ordering issues as soon as there's a
>> >struct device around. If we don't use that, we need to reinvent all
>> >those wheels ourselves.
> To make the driver core's magic work I think you'd need to find a way to
> reparent the audio device under the display device. Presumably they come
> from two different parts of the device tree (two different PCI devices I
> would guess for Intel, two different platform devices on SoCs). Changing
> the parent after a device has been registered doesn't work as far as I
> know. But even assuming that would work, I have trouble imagining what
> the implications would be on the rest of the driver model.
>
> I faced similar problems with the Tegra DRM driver, and the only way I
> can see to make this kind of interaction between devices work is by
> tacking on an extra layer outside the core driver model.
That's why we need a new avsink device which is a proper child of the
gfx device, and the audio driver needs to use the componentized device
framework so that the suspend/resume ordering works correctly. Or at
least that's been my idea, might be we have some small gaps here and there.
-Daniel
Intel Semiconductor AG
Registered No. 020.30.913.786-7
Registered Office: Badenerstrasse 549, 8048 Zurich, Switzerland