[alsa-devel] Support for getting "manufacturer" from snd_seq_client_info and/or snd_ctl_card_info

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri May 16 09:26:02 CEST 2014

Adam Goode wrote:
>> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>>> 2. Add the manufacturer name to snd_ctl_card_info.  For USB devices,
>>>    this is almost always known, but most other drivers do not know the
>>>    name of the card manufacturer (as opposed to the chip manufacturer).
>>>    In those cases, the most informative name that a driver could provide
>>>    would be based on a registered ID like "USB:0x1234", "PCI:0x5678", or
>>>    "IEEE:0x9abcde".
>
> One question I have for step 2 above: snd_ctl_card_info is full. I
> don't see a way of adding to it without introducing a new ioctl
> (SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_CARD_INFO2 + struct snd_ctl_card_info2?)

If you really want to avoid adding a new ioctl:  The numerical IDs are
just numbers, for which there is enough space in snd_ctl_card_info.  For
USB devices, the manufacturer name is part of the longname, so you'd
just need offset/length values.

And I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to expose the manufacturer
ID as a string.  Is that value supposed to be shown to the user, or just
some unique ID?

Regards,
Clemens