[alsa-devel] Too many snd_pcm_mmap_readi calls

Jan Homann jh at janhomann.de
Wed May 7 11:52:45 CEST 2014

Arg, i am sorry for the enormouse amount of errors in eight lines of
code. Is there any "Errors per line"-List? Maybe there is a new leader
by now.

I added the sleep to see the start of one while-loop in the strace
output. Not every function appears in the strace. Just to see where the
loop starts i added a function and sleep came into my mind first.
In my real function i am checking the return values of snd_pcm_wait and
snd_pcm_mmap_readi. The return value of snd_pcm_mmap_readi is used to
encode the amount of captured samples with opus.

In my opinion mmap_begin just tells the alsa-lib that someone is about
to access the buffer. With avail_update all buffer states (whatever they
are) are updated and mmap_readi gets the samples to
network_data.data_UC. After that, mmap_commit tells the alsa-lib that i
am ready with the buffer.
Maybe i am wrong with that. Ok, for sure i am wrong with that.

I am using mmap because of its good performance. Under normal condition
with snd_pcm_mmap_readi my program uses about 1% of cpu-time where
snd_pcm_readi uses about 75%.

Do you know a good tutorial about using mmap_readi?