[alsa-devel] No sound for a rather old laptop (ALC260).

Fidel Leon fidelleon at mykolab.com
Mon May 5 16:34:38 CEST 2014

Hello, list.

I own a rather old laptop which features a snd_hda_intel soundcard, with a
ALC260 chipset.

I know it works when using rather old kernels (Debian 7, for example), and
when I was using Ubuntu 12.04 I could even download the "driver" from Realtek
and compile from sources. However, after updating to newer releases (kernels
3.9 and beyond), I lost the ability to compile the module by hand (VERSION.H
missing).

For older kernels I could try some "model=xxx" combinations but as far as I
see from hda_codec.c, ALC260 doesn't feature such parameter anymore (N/A).

When my laptop starts up it make a few clicks and cracks (just when my Fedora
initializes the module) but no sound afterwards. I have cranked every
alsamixer slider to maximum but the most I get is a "very far far away sound,
with a lot of skews and clicks).

I already have an alsa-info.txt file to debug, may I post it here?

Thanks,
--
Fidel Leon
fidelleon at mykolab.com
GPG: AD74FB97
"Developers have the attention spans of slightly moronic woodland creatures."