[alsa-devel] arecord - bug with big file?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon May 5 11:46:54 CEST 2014

korgman wrote:
> I can't record with arecord for long periods.
>
> time arecord -f dat -D hw:0,0 | aplay
> Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
> Playing WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
>
> real    186m25.375s

This is the time needed for 2^31 bytes.  Stopping recording after that
is a feature because .wav files (as supported by arecord) have a 2 GB
limit.  When recording to a file, it would be possible to create
multiple files, but this is not possible with stdout.

Use "-t raw" to avoid the .wav restrictions.  (This requires you to
tell aplay about the format.)

Regards,
Clemens