[alsa-devel] No sound on Thinkpad T440s in Docking Station

Joschi Brauchle joschi.brauchle at tum.de
Fri May 2 15:59:55 CEST 2014

On 05/02/2014 11:27 AM, Joschi Brauchle wrote:
> On 05/02/2014 11:02 AM, Joschi Brauchle wrote:
>>

>> On 05/02/2014 10:21 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Did you take alsa-info.sh output while you're plugging to the dock
>>> headphone jack?  With the setup, it's NID 0x1b, and "Dock Headphone
>>> Jack" control should be "true" when properly detected.
>>>
>>> Maybe you'd be better to figure out which dock pin corresponds to
>>> which at first.  hda-jack-retask should be your help.
>>>

>>> Takashi
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yes, alsa-info.sh was created while the laptop was docked and headphones
>> plugged in at the docking station headphone jack.
>>
>> I installed hda-jack-retask and played with it a little bit, but I'm
>> rather lost...
>>
>> What exactly whould I try to do with it?
>>
>> Thanks, Joschi
>>

> So if I override pin 0x16 with anything (i.e. type headphones) I do get
> sound from the speakers connected to the docking station headphone jack!
>
> Joschi

Actually, someone else has already found the correct values for the T440p.
https://github.com/leoluk/thinkpad-stuff/wiki/Haswell-ThinkPad-problems#linux-docking-station-audio-compatibility

I have modified the values to fit the T440s:
File: /lib/firmware/hda-jack-retask.fw
--------------------------------------
[codec]
0x10ec0292 0x17aa220c 0

[pincfg]
0x16 0x2121101f
0x19 0x21a11030
I tested the settings and can confirm that docking headphone + mic works
correctly, but I am not sure what these values do/mean exactly.

Possibly they need to be corrected...

Joschi