[alsa-devel] compress: adding support for hardware dependent params

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Sun Mar 16 21:00:16 CET 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 05:55:37AM -0000, Banajit Goswami wrote:

> audio. The parameters we are looking to set is not specific to gapless
> audio, but rather a few hardware/board specific parameters (for passing
> to our driver)

Why not just use ALSA controls for this - that's the normal way of doing
things like this, if the parameters aren't part of the stream data it's
not obvious to me why they're being set on the stream.  I'm also a bit
concerned about the idea that applications would need to support another
custom API for passing opaque blobs to drivers, we already have bytes
controls.  Can you give any examples of the sort of thing that would be
configured here?