[alsa-devel] [RFC] ASoC: core: Add support for DAI multicodec

Benoit Cousson bcousson at baylibre.com
Thu Mar 13 12:46:43 CET 2014

On 12/03/2014 23:51, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:17:24PM +0100, Benoit Cousson wrote:
>
>> +struct snd_soc_dai_link_codec {
>> +	const char *codec_name;
>> +	const struct device_node *codec_of_node;
>> +	const char *codec_dai_name;
>> +
>> +	struct snd_soc_codec *codec;
>> +	struct snd_soc_dai *codec_dai;
>> +
>> +	int (*hw_params_fixup)(struct snd_soc_pcm_runtime *rtd,
>> +			       struct snd_pcm_hw_params *params);
>> +	struct snd_pcm_hw_params hw_params;
>> +};
>
> The implementation looks basically fine, it's possible there's something
> nasty in there but the patch is rather large and not quite repetitive
> enough.

I think some non-regression tests on that series will be good, because,
so far it was used on Misa platform (dra7-evm AFAIR) and my own BBB +
audio cape platform and BBB + 2 mono Codecs from NXP (to be upstreamed
soon :-)).

We need to ensure that it will not break the thousand ASoC
implementations we have in mainline today.

> Most of the interface seems good - I'm not super thrilled with
> having the separate CODECs list but equally well the idea of updating
> all the machine drivers isn't super awesome either and should be punted
> for a cleanup run later.

Yes, that's as well the point I don't like, but couldn't find an easy
and smooth transition solution. And I guess Misa had the same concern
before.

> I would like to see something nicer for the fixup though - I think we
> can avoid doing it if we use the TDM API to specify the slots that are
> in use by a CODEC.  Xiubo has done some nice work there recently which
> is handy.  Instead of having a fixup function if we specified a TDM
> and channel map configuration then the core core could override the
> params so that the channel count was clamped by how many channels are
> actually being sent to the device - so if there's two TDM slots active
> the device would be told to play stereo.  Would that work for your use
> cases?

Yes, I think so. My current setup is pretty basic: 2 mono Class D
amplifiers connected to the same I2S link to build a stereo card.

OK, so I'll rebase the patch to asoc/next. I'll try to split the huge
patch at least into a series of 2 or 3 patches, and I'll remove the
fixup part.

Thanks,
Benoit

--