[alsa-devel] About snd_dmaengine_pcm_trigger()

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Mar 11 10:55:55 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:47:32AM +0100, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> The reason why we factored out the dmaengine DMA stuff is because
> there is a standard API that hides the implementation details and is
> supposed to behave the same for each system. For PIO you do not have
> such a abstraction layer that hides the details, so I'm not sure how
> similar PIO between different platforms will actually be.

I keep thinking that there ought to be *some* commonality between the
platforms that use FIQs if only in the timer stuff at least.  Part of
the reason that doesn't get factored out is that it's normally just a
temporary bodge until DMA is working of course, though Qualcomm do it
because their DMA for the DSP doesn't fit well with dmaengine and the
i.MX AC'97 needs it since the hardware doesn't fully understand AC'97.