[alsa-devel] About ALSA SoC cpu/codec asymmetry

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Mon Mar 10 07:42:28 CET 2014

On 03/10/2014 03:10 AM, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> Hi Mark, Stephen, Lars
>
> Now, ALSA SoC is using "component" style, and its image is like this.
>
> ALSA SoC
>   - platform
>   - component (as CPU)
>   - codec
>      - component
>
> It is still not symmetry, and confusable.
> I guess this is understandable.
>
> ALSA SoC
>   - platform
>   - cpu
>      - component
>   - codec
>      - component
>
> If we add "cpu", it needs "cpu name", same as current "codec name"
> on soc_bind_dai_link().
> I guess it can keep compatible if it allows "NULL" name on "cpu name" at this point.
> (but print warning ?)

There is already a cpu_name field for the DAI link struct and it is ignored
when it is NULL. See
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/soc/soc-core.c#n870

I have a patch that makes using cpu_name mandatory for new component
drivers. And then we can slowly start to convert old platforms.

- Lars