[alsa-devel] integration into ASoC

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Fri Mar 7 17:53:35 CET 2014

Hi Liam, Mark,

I have a sound IP that is part of an SoC that I'm willing to write a
driver for.

This IP is made of a few registers to control the sampling rate, if
we're using mono/stereo, plus two fifos, one for playback, one for
capture, that can be seed with data. The data are then taken, go
through a DAC, and the outer interface of the IP are directly analog
signals (so the DAC/ADC are directly in the SoC, and the only
interface we have is plain registers).

From what I understood from ASoC, you have mostly three components,
the DAI, the codec and the platform that plumbers the two first
together. Here, my understanding is that it's pretty much the whole
three in a single IP.

Should such a hardware block be handled into ASoC, and if yes, how?
If not, which other framework should be used?

Thanks!
Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons