[alsa-devel] Controlling the cards order

Olivier Langlois olivier at trillion01.com
Thu Mar 6 18:42:14 CET 2014

Hi,

I have added a second sound device in my system and it unexpectedly took
the first card slot.

I have found that it is easy to control the order as long as the devices
use different drivers by modifying

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

( http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards )

but in my situation I have 2 different devices using the same driver. I
think that there is hope that I find an answer by digging the more
general topic of ordering PCI devices drivers loading but if someone has
few pointers to share, any help is welcome!

Here are my 2 devices that I would like to change the order:

lano1106 at whippet2 /proc/asound $ cat cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xfbf20000 irq 84
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfbe60000 irq 88

thank you for your time,
Olivier