[alsa-devel] "ak" vs "asahi-kasei"

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Jun 11 21:16:23 CEST 2014

On 06/11/2014 01:04 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:51:41PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> On 06/11/2014 11:02 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>>> I think the bikeshed would be much better painted pink with yellow spots :)
>
>> Sorry to jump in on this late, but what on earth is wrong with "ak". It
>> went through the appropriate review process, and is already in use.
>> Admittedly only in a single ARM DT file, but it's still in use. We'll
>> have to allow the ak prefix forever given that DT is an ABI, so rather
>> than introducing more random variations, we should just stick with what
>> we have.
>
> Well, the issue is that in reality the bulk of the drivers are using
> asahi-kasei, we're going to have to churn at least something anyway.  We
> seem to have one in tree user of ak in a DTS file and two DTSs using
> asahi-kasei with seven drivers.

As far as DTs go, there are only 2 users of asahi-kasei, and they were
both added well after the prefix was documented, so those seem like
plain old bugs.

But due to ABIness, perhaps we have to support both ak and asahi-kasei.
I don't think fixing this implies we should introduce a third option akm
though. No DT is using that today.