[alsa-devel] "ak" vs "asahi-kasei"

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Jun 11 20:51:41 CEST 2014

On 06/11/2014 11:02 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 06:57:44PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
>
>>> They're usually referred to as AKM when abbreviated and their web site
>>> is http://www.akm.com/ - don't know what the stock ticker symbol is.  In
>>> any case there's no real cost to adding both abbreviated and
>>> non-abbreviated forms if we want to transition.
>
>>     of: Add vendor prefix for Asahi Kasei Corp.
>
>>     Their stock ticker is 3407.T which wouldn't make a good DT vendor
>>     prefix. Use the company name initials instead.
>
> Sounds like akm, is a better bet then, especially as ak, has no real
> adoption.
>
> I think the bikeshed would be much better painted pink with yellow spots :)

Sorry to jump in on this late, but what on earth is wrong with "ak". It
went through the appropriate review process, and is already in use.
Admittedly only in a single ARM DT file, but it's still in use. We'll
have to allow the ak prefix forever given that DT is an ABI, so rather
than introducing more random variations, we should just stick with what
we have.