[alsa-devel] Recording support for Roland SD-50 USB Audio device

François Isabelle isabellf at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 5 02:15:59 CEST 2014

Le 04/06/2014 15:28, Clemens Ladisch a écrit :
> François Isabelle wrote:
>> My alsa configuration is available at the following address:
>>
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=19aeffd0d30e952fdd12d589929fbe2a0f98ad7f
> OK, the kernel is new enough.
yes, I'm on Ubuntu 14.04

>> I'm unable to record using the Roland SD-50 on Linux.
> And when you're playing something at the same time?
I didn't try that so I just did: no success.

I noticed a bunch of these in the kernel logs, wondering if they could
have an effect ...

74593.911782] retire_playback_urb: 827 callbacks suppressed
[74682.797798] retire_playback_urb: 827 callbacks suppressed
[74687.812561] retire_playback_urb: 831 callbacks suppressed
[74692.827336] retire_playback_urb: 832 callbacks suppressed
[74697.842108] retire_playback_urb: 832 callbacks suppressed
[74702.856874] retire_playback_urb: 832 callbacks suppressed

>> There is something odd with playback as well. With the sound control
>> panel ( unity-control-center ). The test output only works when the
>> SD-50 input is selected from the input tab.
> So it works only if both playback+capture are used?
That's not what I meant. I mean that the  SD-50 output using pulseaudio
only seems to work when the pulse audio default input is set to the
SD-50 as well.
I think I should probably get pulseaudio out of the mix for now, and
focus on the core alsa support.
Is this SD-50 card  known to work ?

>> So, I'm pretty sure there is simply some mix up in the mixer
>> configuration...
> If so, the configuration cannot be accessed from the computer.
> Check the device settings.
> (Do the current settings work with Windows?)
There is very little configuration parameters on the device itself,
except input selection for mic/guitar and power selection between bus
and power cord. It was working with windows last time I checked and I
didn't change it.

Right now, I'm not getting any output when using:
  pasuspender --  speaker-test -Dplughw:3

But if I deselect and reselect the input device in the audio control
panel or select the S/PDIF ouput instead (which the unit does not have)
the sound panel built-in sound check starts working again..

This is a big snafu state.

Looking forward for some troubleshooting ...
Thanks.
François.