[alsa-devel] [AMD OSS Driver Bug] Only 2 Channel Audio Detected on HDMI

Mathew Nichols mathewcnichols at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 02:33:47 CEST 2014

Hello,

Using Ubuntu Mini Kernel v.3.15.3-generic (OSS drivers) I cannot pass 7.1
LPCM and cannot bitstream HD Audio formats. XBMC only detects 2 channels.
The xbmc.log only reports m_channel=FL,FR. I can also bitstream AC3 / DTS.
I have worked closely with fritsch. We believe this is a kernel audio error
with my GPU (AMD 5670.) The setup is dual boot and the Windows partition
works correctly, as does the older Ubuntu kernel with AMD proprietary
drivers. Debug information below.

• Kernel log (dmesg with drm.debug=0xe):http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811317
• Driver Codec: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811321
• xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7805000

Using Ubuntu Mini Kernel v.3.13.0-32-generic (AMD proprietary drivers 14.4)
I CAN pass 7.1 LPCM and I can then bitstream HD Audio formats. Windows 7
also detects 7.1 LPCM @ 192khz and will bitstream all HD Audio formats. The
xbmc.log reports all 8 channels for m_channels on both Ubuntu Mini and
Windows 7. Debug information below.

• Kernel log (dmesg with drm.debug=0xe):http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811473
• Driver Codec: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811478
• xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811488

Windows 7 with (AMD proprietary drivers 13.6):
• xbmc.log: http:// <http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>pastebin.com
<http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>/ <http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>HkFPpCiR
<http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>

Thank you for any help you can provide!