[alsa-devel] C-Media USB Audio Device (0d8c:000c) volume scale

Alexander Schlarb alexander-alsa at xmine128.tk
Sun Jul 13 19:47:36 CEST 2014

Hi everybody!

I've just opened what I think is a bug at GitHub[1] and have been told to send
it to this list instead.

System configuration:
 - http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fb914e7a6b8d91993b00d61c94c885e8d2ede527
 - https://github.com/opensrc/alsa/issues/4 (some additional PulseAudio stuff)

My problem:
I have a DeLock USB audio device with an C-Media audio chip. When changing the
volume in alsamixer there is no problem, but when changing the volume through
any PulseAudio frontend (in my case either pavucontrol or veromix-plasmoid),
all volumes below 30% in the GUI are shown as 0% in alsamixer and no sound is
played.
The PulseAudio wiki[2] blames this on ALSA for exporting incorrect dB
information. However there is a StackExchange answer[3] which suggests adding
the parameter ignore_dB=1 in /etc/pulse/default.pa which fixed the issue, so
I'm not sure if this is indeed ALSAs fault?

Please tell me if this can be fixed in ALSA or if this might be a PulseAudio
bug...

With best regards,
Alexander Schlarb

[1] https://github.com/opensrc/alsa/issues/4