[alsa-devel] Tenor TE8802, USB : clics and crackles during music play

Daniel Mack daniel at zonque.org
Tue Jan 14 15:34:17 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 04:43:06PM +0100, Eric F wrote:
> Been searching for days on Internet for this issue, without luck :(
>
> I own a Teac UD-H01 : when connected via USB => crackles and clicks

Which tool are you using in userspace to test this? Did you try aplay?

> optical => no problem

I'm confused. According to

  http://www.teac.com/product/ud-h01/

there is no optical output. Are you saying things only work if you
connect an optical input?

Are you absolutely sure that you're not dealing with analog audio
distortion? IOW: did you try the very same setup with a different OS?

> I want to use it as USB because it's asynchronous, so only a few jitter

I don't follow. According to the device specs, USB is the only option to
connect this thing?

> I've tried many kernels (3.12.7, 3.12.6) and the LTS that I use normally
> (3.10.25, 3.10.26) : not solved
>
> I've tried on a fresh ArchLinux install : no way
> I've tried Xubuntu : not better (plus they use pulseaudio)
> I've tried on my desktop's Arch Linux
>
> I'd like to know if any of you have a patch or a fix for the Tead UD-H01
> DAC when used via USB

The device exposes itself as USB audio v2 interface, so it should work
out-of-the-box. What's interesting is that there are two clock sources,
but only one is connected in the topology (bCSourceID = 12), and there
is no clock selector. Crackles could be related to wrong clocking, but
that's just guessing.

Please check whether the device works under Windows or Mac OS X.

Daniel