[alsa-devel] Surround sound not working on ALC887 based motherboard

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 11:16:36 CET 2014

2014/1/10 Olivier Crête <olivier.crete at ocrete.ca>

> Hello,
>
> I have a Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus motherboard which is ICH7 + Realtek
> ALC887-VD, alsa only lets me access the first 2 channels (stereo), but
> not the 6 other ones. It works fine in Windows.
>
> Trying to run this after killing pulseaudio fails:
>
> $ aplay -D surround40:0 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c 4 /dev/zero -v
> Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
> Channels 4
> aplay: set_params:1239: Channels count non available
>

> Output from alsa-info:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fe378d28f0dbb5a427b005d20866a762fd37d31a
>
> --

post output of pactl list or pulseaudio verbose log

you have to change channel mode from 2ch to 6ch to retask the input jacks
as output if your motherboard only have three audio jacks at rear panel

do you mean pulseaudio cannot probe the surroun40 or surround51 profile ?

Simple mixer control 'Channel Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: '2ch' '4ch' '6ch'
  Item0: '2ch'