[alsa-devel] [PATCH] ASoC: Docs: Update the Overview document
liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Tue Jan 7 18:51:41 CET 2014
Update the ASoC overview to bring it up to date with the current code base
and include multi-component.
Signed-off-by: Liam Girdwood <liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com>
Documentation/sound/alsa/soc/overview.txt | 27 ++++++++++++++++++---------
1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)
diff --git a/Documentation/sound/alsa/soc/overview.txt b/Documentation/sound/alsa/soc/overview.txt
index 138ac88..ff88f52 100644
@@ -49,18 +49,23 @@ features :-
* Machine specific controls: Allow machines to add controls to the sound card
(e.g. volume control for speaker amplifier).
-To achieve all this, ASoC basically splits an embedded audio system into 3
+To achieve all this, ASoC basically splits an embedded audio system into
+multiple re-usable component drivers :-
- * Codec driver: The codec driver is platform independent and contains audio
- controls, audio interface capabilities, codec DAPM definition and codec IO
+ * Codec class drivers: The codec class driver is platform independent and
+ contains audio controls, audio interface capabilities, codec DAPM
+ definition and codec IO functions. This class extends to BT, FM and MODEM
+ ICs if required. Codec class drivers should be generic code that can run
+ on any architecture and machine.
- * Platform driver: The platform driver contains the audio DMA engine and audio
- interface drivers (e.g. I2S, AC97, PCM) for that platform.
+ * Platform class drivers: The platform class driver includes the audio DMA
+ engine driver, digital audio interface (DAI) drivers (e.g. I2S, AC97, PCM)
+ and any audio DSP drivers for that platform.
- * Machine driver: The machine driver handles any machine specific controls and
- audio events (e.g. turning on an amp at start of playback).
+ * Machine class driver: The machine driver class acts as the glue that
+ decribes and binds the other component drivers together to form an ALSA
+ "sound card device". It handles any machine specific controls and
+ machine level audio events (e.g. turning on an amp at start of playback).
@@ -84,3 +89,7 @@ machine.txt: Machine driver internals.
pop_clicks.txt: How to minimise audio artifacts.
clocking.txt: ASoC clocking for best power performance.
+jack.txt: ASoC jack detection.
+DPCM.txt: Dynamic PCM - Describes DPCM with DSP examples.
More information about the Alsa-devel