[alsa-devel] change kmalloc into vmalloc for large memory allocations

'gregkh@linuxfoundation.org' gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Feb 28 17:33:04 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 05:20:08PM +0800, Wang, Yalin wrote:
> Hi
>

> Yeah,
> Dma buffer must be allocated by kmalloc,
>
> But the modules I list should can all be changed to use
> vmalloc, because the buffer is only used by software,
> Not by any hardware .

Are you sure about that?  The USB gadget driver needs DMA memory from
what I can tell, have you tried your change out on a system that does
not allow the USB controller to access non-DMA memory?

And I agree with Steve, just fix the individual drivers, don't do a
"hidden" change of where the memory is allocated from, that's not a good
idea and will cause problems later.

greg k-h