[alsa-devel] alsa on non-linux

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Feb 26 08:20:07 CET 2014

At Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:45:14 +0000,
Patrick Welche wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 02:46:52PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 16 Jan 2014 13:27:17 +0000,
> > Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Why excluding hwdep...?  And, no, the codes have been written to be
> > portable, but the primary goal is a thin layer for Linux kernel ABI,
> > thus its support is the highest priority.
> >
> > The linux/*.h file inclusions are basically for allowing to include
> > sound/asound.h as is.  It's a part of the Linux kernel code, and I
> > don't think we'd add any extra ifdefs there just for non-Linux.
> >
> > IOW, you'd need to prepare some compatible defines before including
> > sound/asound.h if you need to compile for non-Linux systems.
>
> I should have read this more carefully before preparing the attached
> patch... I changed asound.h.
>
> The attached is what I needed to be able to build with
>
> ../configure --prefix=/tmp \
> --enable-debug          \
> --disable-resmgr        \
> --disable-aload         \
> --disable-mixer         \
> --disable-pcm           \
> --disable-rawmidi       \
> --disable-hwdep         \
> --disable-seq           \
> --disable-ucm           \
> --disable-alisp         \
> --disable-old-symbols   \
> --disable-python        \
> --with-debug            \
> --without-libdl         \
> --without-librt
>
> so not very useful, but at least it compiles.
> (This is on top of 0001-autotools-update-style.patch)

This isn't a way I supposed.  In principle, you must not touch
include/sound/*.h files.  These are just copies from Linux kernel
tree, thus they are managed there.

For any lacking linux/*.h files, you can create the own in somewhere
locally by detecting in configure script.  For example, keep a
directory include-compat/linux/types.h, and add -Iinclude-compat for
non-Linux systems.