[alsa-devel] Headphone output problems with HP ProDesk 600 G1 (Realtek ALC221)

Robert Hancock hancockrwd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:50:24 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Raymond Yau
<superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That did give one more result: when plugging in the headphone-only
>> jack, 0x18 (Not connected) reports present. I'm not sure if node 0x18
>> is actually related to the headphone for anything other than the jack
>> sensing, though, as none of the settings for that node in hda_analyzer
>> have any effect on the audio output on that jack (even the mute).
>

> did you set pin ctl to OUT HP of node 0x18 ?

Setting OUT didn't seem to change anything. That node doesn't appear
to support HP mode.

>> As I mentioned in the Bugzilla report, as it turns out, with default
>> settings I can get audio to play out from the headphone jack with the
>> "Analog Output" mode selected in PulseAudio. The big problem is that
>> the audio is distorted with hiss and popping noises, which I haven't
>> been able to figure out at all. Any suggestions?
>

> do pulseaudio log show any path is removed since you don't have headphone
> playback volume or front playback volume , front playback switch?

Not sure quite what you mean. I've been doing most of my recent tests
with PulseAudio not running, to eliminate that variable.

> try hint jack_detect=0 to disable all jack detection of all jacks
>
> and use hda-analyzer to mute /unmute the pin complex of line out and
> headphone
>
> the other thing you can try is use hda-jack-retask to change internal
> speaker as [N/A] , this allow line out and headphone get it own volume
> control and audio output

I've tried all three of these now without any real success. Still that
noise on the output. Think I might need to try some tests with Windows
or other Linux versions to see if there is just some hardware problem
on this machine.