[alsa-devel] Headphone output problems with HP ProDesk 600 G1 (Realtek ALC221)

Robert Hancock hancockrwd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:31:04 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Raymond Yau
<superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
>> >     speaker_outs=1 (0x17/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
>> >     hp_outs=1 (0x21/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
>> >     mono: mono_out=0x0
>> >     inputs:
>> >       Mic=0x1a
>> >       Line=0x1b
>> >
>> > do you mean one of the front panel jacks support TRRS headset ?
>>
>> I think that is what the labelling is indicating, yes.
>

> http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=5387447
>
> refer to the maintenance and service guide
>
> When a device is plugged into the Microphone/Headph
> one Connector, a dialog box will pop up asking if
> you want to use the connector for a microphone Line-In
> device or a headphone. You can reconfigure the connector
> at any time by double-clicking the Audio Manager icon in the Windows taskbar
>

>  the hardware reference guide and Illustrated Parts and Service map
>  microphone jack and headphone jack
>
> it seem not support TRRS headset
>
> Do the icon really show a headset ( headphone with mic) ?

I suppose not, it just has a headphone and a microphone. I assume it's
quite possible that it only supports one at a time.

>> > use hda-jack-sense-test to find the nodes of front panel jacks and rear
>> > panel jacks
>>
>> From what I can tell:
>>
>> When the headphone-only jack is plugged into, nothing happens with jack
>> sensing
>> When the headphone/mic jack is plugged into, both Pin 0x1a (Black Mic)
>> and Pin 0x21 (Black HP Out) show present
>> When the rear line out jack is plugged into, Pin 0x14 (Green Line Out)
>> shows present
>> When the rear line in jack is plugged into, nothing happens with jack
>> sensing
>

> did you use "-a" option for hda-jack-sense-test ?

That did give one more result: when plugging in the headphone-only
jack, 0x18 (Not connected) reports present. I'm not sure if node 0x18
is actually related to the headphone for anything other than the jack
sensing, though, as none of the settings for that node in hda_analyzer
have any effect on the audio output on that jack (even the mute).

As I mentioned in the Bugzilla report, as it turns out, with default
settings I can get audio to play out from the headphone jack with the
"Analog Output" mode selected in PulseAudio. The big problem is that
the audio is distorted with hiss and popping noises, which I haven't
been able to figure out at all. Any suggestions?