[alsa-devel] Roland V-Studio 20

Keith A. Milner maillist at superlative.org
Sat Feb 15 01:24:47 CET 2014

On Friday 14 Feb 2014 20:07:56 Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Keith A. Milner wrote:
> > I've recently picked up a cheap Roland V-Studio 20 device. This is
> > described in the product spec as supporting 24-bit, but it is appearing
> > as 16-bit only.
> How does it appear in /proc/asound/card*/stream0?
>
> > Unfortunately, Roland seem to insist on their own proprietary descriptors,
> > which I don't know how to decode, so I'm not sure whether this is
> > genuinely a 24-bit interface that isn't being interpreted properly by
> > snd-usb-audio, or whether it's marketing spin, and it's actually 16-bit.
> >
> > ** UNRECOGNIZED:  0b 24 02 01 02 03 18 01 44 ac 00
>
>                                    ^^ ^^
>                                    This is three bytes, 24 bits.

Cakewalk VS-20 at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 0
    Altset 1
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
    Rates: 44100

Capture:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 2 IN (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100

Ahah! thank you!

I was confused because Jack seems to think it is 16 bit only.

Cheers,

Keith