[alsa-devel] user defined plugin and namehint

Olivier Langlois olivier at trillion01.com
Fri Feb 14 14:45:49 CET 2014

Hi,

I created a new plugin in asound.conf and I would like it to appear in
the list presented with aplay -L as this is the list used by my media
player (vlc) to offer the option to choose my playback device.

I have tried this:

pcm.rate96000Hz {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 0
        rate 96000
        hint {
                show on
                description "96000Hz rate output"
        }
}

It seems that it is missing the small magic used by standard specs. ie:
from front.conf:

        hint {
                show {
                        @func refer
                        name defaults.namehint.basic
                }
                description "Front speakers"
                device $DEV
        }

Background problem:

I have a flac audio file with 88.2 kHz sampling rate 24 bits and the
player is opening the playback device at 48kHz and downsample my file.
>From the ui, there doesn't seem to be a way to fine tune these params. I
will bring the discussion to vlc dev as well.

Thank you,