[alsa-devel] DMA screams on MSP

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Tue Feb 4 21:01:48 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Lee Jones <lee.jones at linaro.org> wrote:
>> I get this in my bootlog nowadays (v3.14-rc1):
>>
>> [    2.713897] dma dma0chan29: [d40_validate_conf] Invalid device type
>> (14) physical channel exeeds available physical channels
>
> <snip>
>
>> (I patched dma40 to state the exact cause instead of just
>> "invalid device type".)
>>
>> Like something (I guess ALSA SoC?) is trying real hard to get physical
>> channel 14, but I can't seem to figure out what is going on.
>>
>> I will try to see if this also appears on the Snowball but I guess
>> so?
>>
>> Any hints appreciated...
>
> It looks like you're attempting to initialise MSP2 (HDMI). Why are you
> doing that? Can you `git grep msp2` and provide me with the output
> please?

This is just plain mainline, there is nothing special about my
git tree...

Yeah it appears I went in and marked msp2 "okay" in
commit 70b41abc151f9 so that is causing it, I'll make a
quick fix to get rid of that.

But no matter whether it gets activated or not: should it not just
work anyway? This message seems to suggest the DMA
channel assignment is invalid.

Yours,
Linus Walleij