[alsa-devel] compress: adding support for hardware dependent params

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Mon Feb 3 15:25:31 CET 2014

>   We have a requirement, where we need to set a number of hardware specific
> parameters for compressed offload use-cases, before starting a stream. As
> these parameters need to be set once for the entire session, we would
> like to explore the best way to set these additional parameters somewhere
> before calling trigger() function.

I think you need to provide more context here. The compressed API
provides a fair amount of information on the parameters needed to handle
the stream - maybe too much in most cases -, I don't really get the
rationale for hardware-specific parameters needed specifically for
compressed data that you wouldn't need for PCM.
I am also not clear on how we are going to agree on new hw_params that
are hardware specific. Shouldn't this sort of requirement be handled
through a control interface?