[alsa-devel] Strange sound of IDT 82hd206xx6 at font port in AC97 mode

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 3 12:14:50 CET 2014

At Mon, 3 Feb 2014 19:10:58 +0800,
Randy Li wrote:

> ? 2014?02?03? 19:07, Takashi Iwai ??:
> > At Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:01:00 +0800, Randy Li wrote:
> >>

> > Hello My mainboard is ECS A780GM-A, the sound chip in it is IDT
> > 82HD206XX6, it shows that below 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced
> > Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) Subsystem:
> > Elitegroup Computer Systems Device 2816 Control: I/O- Mem+
> > BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR-
> > FastB2B- DisINTx- Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr-
> > DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> > Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes Interrupt: pin A routed to
> > IRQ 16 Region 0: Memory at f9ff0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
> > [size=16K] Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2 Flags:
> > PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA
> > PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+) Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable-
> > DSel=0 DScale=0 PME- Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
> >
> > In my bios I don't have a switch to make the font port mode into
> > AC97 or HD Audio. In windows you need to install a driver and set
> > the font port into AC97.
> >
> >> HD-audio front panel should be connected in HD-audio mode.
> >> Otherwise something must go wrong.
> >
> But I can't, the hardware of font port is a AC97 port, not a HD-audio one.
> And as I have mentioned before, in BIOS, there is no such option to
> switch the font port mode between HD-audio nor AC97.
> In windows, you have to do that with driver's control panel.

Then you can't expect that everything works.  For example, the jack
detection is known to be broken if you connect with AC97 panel.
For disabling the jack detection, put "jack_detect = no" to the hint
in the early patching.  See Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-audio.txt for
details.

For fixing the rest, the disordered channels, you need to identify
which pin corresponds to which I/O, then remap via pincfg in the early
patching.  hda_analyzer and hda-jack-retask would be your help.

Takashi