[alsa-devel] Possible GPL-licensed header included in alsa-lib

Clemens Lang clemens.lang at bmw-carit.de
Thu Dec 11 09:55:43 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 07:40:07PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > Two questions:
> >  1. Have the copyright holders of the code in question agreed to
> >     re-license under a different, LGPL-preserving license and, if yes,
> > 	is there some documentation about that?
>
> I don't think so.. Not sure how difficult would be to gather the
> original authors from the 2.4 code.

>From what I can see the file appeared in 2.1.45. I haven't had enough
time to do so yet, but I will try looking into the lkml archives --
maybe I can find the patch that created it.

> >  2. If the header is indeed covered by GPL-2.0, would you accept patches
> >     to replace it with a different implementation, e.g. Rusty Russell's
> > 	MIT-licensed list from ccan[2]?
>
> It could be solution, but the current code seems a bit less complicated.

I'm sure I could simplify the implementation and remove the features not
needed by alsa.

> Could you try to obtain list of original authors from linux 2.4 ? I
> think I can ask about the licence change.

I'm working on it and will get back to you once I have some results (or
given up).

Best regards,
Clemens