[alsa-devel] A minimal playback program does't work on my system

Michael Trimarchi michael at amarulasolutions.com
Sat Aug 16 13:52:24 CEST 2014

Hi

hate gmail

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Michael Trimarchi
<michael at amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Michael Trimarchi
> <michael at amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Il 15/ago/2014 19:20 "Carpon frédéric" <frederic.carpon at yahoo.fr> ha
>> scritto:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Yesterday i have written.
>>> I answer to everybody. I am new and I don't know if there is special rule.
>>> Note : It would be good to have a forum to see the messages and answers in
>>> a pretty form.
>>>
>>> the programme in c comes from
>>>
>>> http://equalarea.com/paul/alsa-audio.html
>>> you can download it at
>>> https://mon-partage.fr/f/uvyw39wo/
>>>
>>> To answer to Michael i have sound in my HDMI with that :
>>>
>>> so i did that
>>> and
>>> and i have this result :
>>>

> if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near (playback_handle,
> hw_params, 44100, 0)) < 0) {
> fprintf (stderr, "cannot set sample rate (%s)\n",
> snd_strerror (err));
> exit (1);
> }

The error is how this function is called. Just change from
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near

snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate

let the example compile without warning

gcc playback.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs alsa` -o playback
./playback plughw:0,0

This example take some byte not initialized on the stack so it's not
what you want. If you increase
the loop from 10 to 1024 you have a nice noise

Michael