[alsa-devel] Ordering in soc_pcm_hw_params()

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Aug 13 18:35:25 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 08:25:22AM -0400, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:

> >> 2) Should sysclk for the cpu-dai and codec-dai be set independently?
> >> In simple-card they can be set to conflicting values on the two nodes
> >> in the DTS. Should sysclk be a single property for the machine?

> > No, clocks might be at different rates for different devices.  One
> > device might divide down the clock to the other.

> What do you think about adding fields for min/max allowed sysclk to
> snd_soc_dai_driver? In my case the SOC can run the sysclk at 100Mhz,
> but the attached codec can only handle 27Mhz.

If we're going to do constraints they should be done properly so need to
be able to represent specific numbers too.  It's probably a clock API
problem, independently implementing it seems redundant.  Doing simple
things in simple-card for the common cases makes sense while the clock
API isn't something we can rely on but equally we don't want to be doing
huge amounts, and of course simple-card is just a subset of what people
are doing.