[alsa-devel] SGTL500 and its external MCLK

Nicolin Chen Guangyu.Chen at freescale.com
Fri Aug 8 07:29:20 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 03:37:47PM -0400, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:
> Since the sgtl5000 driver has the handle to the clock, can't it just
> ask the clock for its rate? If it directly asked the clock for its
> rate it looks like this codec could be bound with simple-audio-card
> and not need a machine driver.

I think Simple Card should already have the capability to support
this without changing sgtl5000's code. It has two properties that
can make it call set_sysclk() for you during the init(). They are
'clocks' and 'system-clock-frequency'. Please refer to its binding
doc for details.

And the topic why not let sgtl5000 fully control the clock has been
discussed in this thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/109093

So I think the change can be done as well?

Best regards,
Nicolin