[alsa-devel] Testing/Debugging alc668 with ASUS N750JK

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Aug 1 11:07:08 CEST 2014

On Fri, August 1, 2014 5:19 pm, Raymond Yau wrote:

alsa-info:

retask and apply
http://boosthardware.com/alsa-info1.txt

store and reboot
http://boosthardware.com/alsa-info2.txt

> Do you mean the plugging of subwoofer cannot be detected
>
> hda-jack-sense-test -c 1 -a

prior to latest changes with hdajackretask:

# python alsa-jack-sense-test.py -c 1 -a
Pin 0x12 (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black HP Out): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Black Mic): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Black SPDIF Out): present = No
Pin 0x1f (Not connected): present = No

headset connected:

# python alsa-jack-sense-test.py -c 1 -a
Pin 0x12 (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black HP Out): present = Yes
Pin 0x16 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Black Mic): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Black SPDIF Out): present = No
Pin 0x1f (Not connected): present = No

after latest reboot (alsa-info2.txt):

# python alsa-jack-sense-test.py -c 1 -a
Pin 0x12 (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black HP Out): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Black Mic): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Black SPDIF Out): present = No
Pin 0x1f (Not connected): present = No

headset connected:

# python alsa-jack-sense-test.py -c 1 -a
Pin 0x12 (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black HP Out): present = Yes
Pin 0x16 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Black Mic): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Black SPDIF Out): present = No
Pin 0x1f (Not connected): present = No

> The graph don't contain enough into for debugg
>
> Post output of alsa-info.sh after retasked
>
> Seem headphone is more important than multichannel speaker when evaluating
> the badness of config
>
> You may need to configure alsa driver --with-debug=verbose to produce more
> information in system log about how it evaluate the badness

Easier said than done.  I have to build a custom kernel in order to get
custom alsa-drivers to build on this machine so at the moment I am stuck
with whatever I got in 3.14.1.  From the list above can you make a
recommendation for the best options to test?

According to hdajackretask the pins I can retask for output are the
following:

Pin 0x14 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black HP Out): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Black Mic): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Not connected): present = No

- The other pins present just a few options for input ex, mic, line in,
spdif.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd