[alsa-devel] No sound on Thinkpad T440s in Docking Station

Joschi Brauchle joschi.brauchle at tum.de
Wed Apr 30 19:05:24 CEST 2014

On 04/30/2014 06:43 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:56:48 +0200,
> Joschi Brauchle wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> using openSUSE 13.1 on an Thinkpad T440s, I am not getting sound once
>> the laptop is docked to its docking station.
>>
>> I suspect an additional SND_PCI_QUIRK is needed for this model.
>> "pactl list" returns
>> ----------------
>> alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC292"
>> alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0292,17aa220c,00100001"
>> ----------------
>> for the analog audio output sink in docked state.
>>
>> Hence I assume a new line *similar* to this
>> ----------------
>> SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x17aa, 0x220c, "Thinkpad T440s", ALC269_FIXUP_LENOVO_DOCK),
>> ----------------
>> is needed?
>> What about the ALC292 instead of 269 Realtek chip...?
>
> It's a compatible chip, so the codec name doesn't matter.
> You can try it with model=lenovo-dock option with the recent kernels.
> For Haswell, it's safer to pass twice
> (model=lenovo-dock,lenovo-dock).
>
> Let us know if this works for you.
>

> Takashi

  Hi Takashi,

so i have:
------------------ /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf -------------------

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-dock,lenovo-dock
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
# 3hqH.vsazS+ZIdb9:Intel Corporation
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.8dI5aUgInHB:Intel Corporation
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
and rebooted, but still get no sound from the headphone jack on the
dock, although the built-in speakers immediately mute when plugging in
headphones.

Joschi