[alsa-devel] For firewire drivers, reduce period time down to 2msec?

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Tue Apr 22 15:24:07 CEST 2014

(Apr 22 2014 05:28), Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
>> Currently I'm working for next patchsets and I'll post them in Friday.
>
> I should be healthy again by then.

I should careflly prepare for these patches, without any bugs which I
can realize.

>> I want to reduce this to 2msec. The reason of this '2msec' is:
>>   - Currently firewire-lib process 16 packets in one time.
>>   - This equals to 2msec (= INTERRUPT_INTERVAL / 8000 * 1000)
>>   - During this 2msec, when pcm_period_pointer passes through period
>> boundary, snd_pcm_period_elapsed() is scheduled with tasklet.
>>   - But tasklet can execute one time even if the function is scheduled
>> several times before executing it.
>>   - The packetizing process is enough fast so the function can be
>> scheduled before executing.
>>   - As a result, snd_pcm_period_elapsed() can be called one time every 2msec.
>>
>> Actually my devices can work fine with period == 2msec or less than
>> 5msec, without any disadvantage.
>
> ALSA actually uses a fixed period _size_.  When the period length is set
> to exactly 2 ms, but the 16 packets between two FireWire interrupts
> contain one sample less than needed, the ALSA period interupt is delayed
> until the next FireWire interrupt.  In that case, Jack with two periods
> is likely to underrun.
>
> The minimum time should be increased so that at least one FireWire
> interrupt is guaranteed to happen for each period, even when there are
> rounding errors and clock differences.

I didn't consider about this case. Yes, exactly. I should remain 4msec
or more for period time.

But against your expectation, the examples in my previous message are
got with jackd. Today I did easy tests with jackd again but I didn't
receive any XRUNs. Of cource, the size of period is nearly 2msec and the
number of periods in buffer is 2.

I did also some tests with aplay/arecord. In this case, I can get
'overrun' with arecord and M(mmap) or/and N(nonblock) option, but aplay
works fine.

If your expectation and my understanding are correct, all of
jackd/aplay/arecord should generate XRUNs. But actually not. Do you have
any ideas for these differences?

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp

(Apr 21 2014 20:38), Takashi Sakamoto wrote:> Hi Clemens,