[alsa-devel] alsa-utils aplay/arecord can't be interrupted when streaming is not active

Jiada Wang jiada_wang at mentor.com
Wed Apr 16 14:00:48 CEST 2014

Hi Jaroslav

On 04/16/2014 01:58 AM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> Date 16.4.2014 10:34, jiwang wrote:
>> Hi Jaroslav

>>> If I/O stalls it's usually problem in the driver. You don't write any
>>> information about your configuration - post 'aplay -v' to see more.
>> This issue is caught when we were doing some tests,
>> test for both correct and incorrect configuration of driver
>> and we expect SIGINT can interrupt aplay/arecord in both cases
>> (which was the cause with the old version 1.0.26)
>>
>>> You may kill the process using the SIGABRT signal.. No reboot is required.
>>
>> Yes, SIGABRT works,
>> But as in our case:
>> CPU dai device is waiting on a external clock,
>> but isnt provided caused the I/O stall
>> the driver is functioning properly and should still be SIGINT-ed in my
>> opinion
>
> The user space received SIGINT, but the current aplay code tries to
> finish the device close sequence. Could you determine, in which syscall
> is the process after you sent SIGINT? A backtrace would be great.

Currently I don't have access to board,

if I recall correctly
when aplay/arecord work in blocking mode
aplay is at:
pcm_write
--> writei_func(handle, data, count);
arecord is at:
pcm_read
-->  readi_func(handle, data, count);

when aplay/arecord work in nonblocking mode
aplay is looping at
pcm_write
--> while (count > 0) { ... }
arecord is looping at
pcm_read
--> while (count > 0) { ... }

I will check it again when I have access to my board tomorrow

Thanks,
Jiada